Learn to Meditate
Day 1 – Deep Breathing Exercises
Don’t underestimate the power of deep breathing. It may seem simple, but most people don’t know how to breathe correctly. They think they’re breathing well, but in reality, their breathing very shallow. Deep breathing is imperative for your success in meditation, and it is something you will practice every time you practice meditation. Eventually, it will become second nature and you won’t have to even think about it, you’ll just do it. Follow these step-by-step instructions:
- Lie comfortably on your bed or on the floor. Get as comfortable as you’d like to be without falling asleep (of course, it’s okay if you do).
- Place your hands on your sides with your fingers over your stomach close to your navel.
- Breathe into your belly. Feel the front and sides of your stomach actually rising as you breathe in.
- Breath out completely. Exhale all the air from your lungs, as much as you possibly can.
- Continue breathing in deep and exhaling long for as long as you’d like. I recommend 1-2 minutes if you’re just starting out and gradually build up to 5 minutes of deep breathing.
Listen to the audio:
How to see immediate results
You may not notice a huge difference after 1 day of practice, but I can tell you from my personal experience and the experience of others I’ve worked with, if you continue to practice this consistently, you will see and feel a difference. Your respiratory muscles will loosen up and your capacity to breathe will increase. Now, here’s a great way to see immediate benefit fro this practice.
Throughout your day, notice how you’re breathing. Is it shallow and in the chest, or is it deep and in the belly? Just notice how you’re breathing and then notice how you feel at that moment. Are you stressed out? Tired? Stiff? When you notice these things, take time to practice your deep breathing, even if it’s just 30 seconds. Again, notice how you feel after you’ve been deep breathing. Do you notice a difference in the way you feel?
Don’t be surprised if you notice a huge difference. Countless people have told me that when they do this, they immediately notice how much tension they were holding in their body, and they begin to gain control over letting it go. Start today by just taking a moment right now and notice your breathing and notice how you feel. Then practice some deep breathing and see how you feel.