Instructions for Tree Pose
- Stand in Tadasana.
- Shift your weight into your left foot.
- Raise your right leg, placing the sole of your right foot into your ankle (for beginners), calf (for moderate difficulty) or left inner thigh (for experienced Yoga practitioners.
- Rest your hands on top of your hips or out to each side to help maintain your balance (for beginners), hands over your hear in anjali mudra (for moderate difficulty) and up over your head (for advanced).
- It may help to maintain a drsti, a point of focus, on the floor about 4 feet in front of you.
- Try to feel the qualities of a tree- grounded, rooted, strong, flexible, etc
Benefits of Tree Pose
Benefits of Tree pose include:
- Strengthened legs and ankles
- Improved balance
- Greater concentration
- Increased hip flexibility
- Improves foot arch and reduces flat feet
Contraindications and Cautions
- Maintaining your arms overhead can aggravate high blood pressure. Maintain hands in anjali mudra to avoid this if you suffer from high blood pressure.